A Redemption Group™ (RG) is a highly engaged small group where participants experience the love of God shining into some of life’s darkest areas of sin and suffering. Redemption Groups™ is a ministry designed to help local churches minister to the deepest pastoral needs in their congregations while equipping volunteer leaders to be the primary ministers. At Apostles Church, RGs serve as a supporting resource to the day-to-day ministry that occurs within our C
“I experienced freedom like never before and an affirmation from the Lord that I have never seen.”
“This Redemption Group helped me to swallow the bitter pill that I am a sinner, but Jesus became so much sweeter once I did.”
THE HOPE OF REDEMPTION GROUPS
Redemption Groups™ at Apostles Church provide a valuable context where the God of the Bible is invited to work tangible redemption and transformation in the lives of participants. There is no secret ingredient or special method to RGs. The hope for transformation, healing, liberation and empowerment always remains in the person of Jesus as he works through his Spirit, Word (the Bible), and Church.
THE GOALS OF REDEMPTION GROUPS
- Glorify God – The highest goal of RGs is to bring greater glory to God by cooperating with his work of redemption in the community of believers.
- Equip the Saints – RGs create an additional means to restore and equip the saints of Apostles Uptown to minister to others (Eph. 4:12), not merely to receive ministry.
- Support Community Groups – Community Groups (CGs) are central to the life of Apostles Uptown. RGs serve as a supplemental ministry to support the existing equipping, care and missional engagement CGs pursue.
- Covenant Membership – RGs at Apostles is a new ministry with limited capacity. Covenant members have committed themselves to the community of Apostles Church and have submitted themselves to its leadership. Though every congregant is precious to our church, RG participation is limited to members for now to prioritize their equipping and care.
- Community Group Engagement – Because the Christian life is to be lived within a community of believers, each RG applicant must be meaningfully engaged with a CG. More than simply attending CG gatherings, each participant should be prioritizing relationships outside of group time to encourage, challenge and hold each other accountable to walking a life in pursuit of God and his mission. Without community engagement, the potential impact of RGs is significantly stunted.
- On a case-by-case basis, RG leadership will consider whether to accept an applicant who is yet to engage in a CG under the condition that he/she commits to pursue CG engagement.
- Advocates – To facilitate the transfer of what is learned in RGs to everyday life we ask each participant to identify 2-3 Advocates with whom participants will share regular updates (at least bi-weekly) on what God is doing in his/her life and what response he is inviting through the RG process. All Advocates must be local. One should ideally be your CG Leader and at least one other must be part of the Apostles Community, preferably within the same CG. RG Leaders may connect with Advocates from time-to-time to ensure consistent care, needed follow through and sufficient support is in place for the RG participant in his/her primary community.
- Attendance – The expectation is that participants will be present and engaged for every session. If travel or other commitments will cause you to miss a session we encourage you to consider a future session.
FORMAT & SCHEDULE
Redemption Groups meet at the Apostles Church offices (209 East 16th St.). Participants gather for musical worship and teaching and afterward break into gender-specific small groups of ~6 facilitated by two co-leaders. In these smaller groups the curriculum’s themes are explored and applied more personally. RGs are currently offered twice a year in the spring and the fall. Below are the dates for upcoming sessions:
- Fall 2016
- Saturday, 9/24 – 3 sessions (9:00am-6:00pm)
- Thursday 9/29 – 1 session (7:00-9:30pm)
- Thursday 10/6 – 1 session (7:00-9:30pm)
- Thursday 10/13 – 1 session (7:00-9:30pm)
- Saturday 10/22 – 3 sessions (9:00am-6:00pm)
- Saturday 10/22 – Celebration Event (7:00-9:00pm)
To help us cover the cost of renting space and preparing materials, RGs cost $100/person. You’ll pay after you’ve completed the application and have been approved as a participant. Additionally, each participant will be required to purchase or borrow from a prior participant a copy of the Redemption book. If cost is a constraint please notify Pastor Ryan Taylor so we can explore a way for you to participate.
EXPECTATIONS AFTER PARTICIPATION
- Participants commit to complete the Wilderness Travel Plan, share it with his or her Advocates and invite support and accountability as they seek to walk it out.
- Participants also agree to at least two follow-up calls/meetings with his or her RG Leader approximately 1 month and 4 months after participation, again, to ensure sufficient support is in place in his/her primary community.
HOW TO APPLY
If you would like to explore participating in RGs in an upcoming season please contact Pastor Ryan Taylor and ask for the RG Application.
If you’d like to learn more about Redemption Groups ministry in general please visit their website.
NOTE: The pastors/elders, deacons, staff, and others who lead Redemption Groups are not professionally trained, licensed or certified counselors. Any pastoral care received through Apostles Church and/or Redemption Groups is not a substitute for licensed, professional care by a psychologist, psychiatrist, medical doctor or other health care provider.